Everything To Know About Gastric Bypass
Gastric bypass surgery is a medical procedure that alters the natural shape, size and placement of the stomach and small intestine to encourage weight loss.
A gastric bypass involved two major steps –
- The first step of the surgery involves the division of the stomach into two chambers. The upper chamber forms the gastric pouch which holds about 28 grams of food post surgery.
- The next step is to connect the small intestine with the new pouch so there is lesser absorption of calories.
These procedures can be performed either by a conventional open surgery or by laparoscopy.
A gastric bypass surgery cost in India starts from about USD 6000. However, the price depends heavily on the patient’s condition and the hospital.
HOW IT WORK
A gastric bypass surgery works in three different ways to yield the results –
- The patient feels satiated with much less food as the stomach which holds the food gets drastically reduced in size.
- As the food does not need to pass through the large intestine, a lot less calories are absorbed by the body.
- A condition called dumping syndrome often develops after the surgery which moves nutrients, specially sugar, from the stomach to the bowel much faster causing less absorption.
An individual can expect to lose as much as 65% of excess body fat within the first year of the surgery.
WHO CAN GET IT DONE
Anybody with a body mass index (BMI) above 30 can opt for a gastric bypass surgery.
Apart from losing those dreadful inches, a gastric bypass surgery can cure various severe conditions which are caused by obesity, such as –
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular diseases
Apart from these it definitely ensures a better quality of life, social life and relationships.
The patient needs to stay for about 2-3 days in the hospital after the procedure. A complete recovery can be expected within 2 to 3 months of the procedure.
The patient must follow a strict lifestyle after the surgery. The diet needs to be restricted to small portion of low calorie food along with dietary supplements as prescribed by doctors. The patient also need to exercise regularly and go for regular medical check ups for the procedure to show its result and for those results to last.
WHOM TO TRUST WITH THE SURGERY
India is home to one of the best surgeon who perform weight loss surgeries successfully. The top three doctors in the country are –
- Mir Asif Rehman
With 13 years of experience, Dr. Rehman, is a consultant at Uphi-the Wellness & Surgical Centre in Gurgaon.
- Dr. Randeep Wadhawan
He is a obesity and bariatric surgeon with 21 years of experience and is the head of the department at India Fortis Flt. Lt. Rajan Dhall Hospital in New Delhi.
- Dr. Adarsh Choudhary
With a rich experience of 30 years, this surgical gastroenterologist heads Medanta – The Medicity in Gurgaon as the chairman.
These doctors are the best within the country. With the advancement in the medical sphere, weight loss surgery cost in India is much more competitive when compared with other countries so you can get the best treatment at an affordable price within the country.